Patients who are interested in Phakic IOL surgery need to undergo a thorough preoperative eye examination. It will take 2-3 hours for the Phakic IOL assessment for the detail data of
- Refraction by Auto Refractometer
- Wavefront Measurement by OPDScan
- Corneal curvature and the corneal thickness measurement by Orbscan&Topography
- Intra Ocular Pressure measurement by the Non-Contact Tonometer
- Manifest refraction before pupil dilatation by Optometrist
- Dilation of pupils (that will cause light sensitivity)
- Cycloplegic refraction after the pupil dilatation by Optometrist
- Eye axial length measurement
- Work up examination and discussion with the surgeon
The preoperative examination includes
1. Taking off the contact lens before the preoperative examination
- For soft contact lenses, the contact lenses need to be taken off 3 days ahead of the day of consultation.
- For hard contact lenses, the contact lenses need to be taken off 7 days ahead of time.
The reason is that wearing contacts lenses, for a long time, could change the curvature of the cornea, therefore the refraction have changed as well. Not wearing contact lens, for a while, will cause the shape and the curvature of eye to revert back to its natural shape, enabling us to get more precise data of the cornea.
Note: For the mean time wear your prescription glasses instead.
2. Due to the blurry vision that results after the dilatation of the pupil, it is recommended that the patient be accompanied by a relative or close friend. Dilation causes the eyes to become extremely light sensitive and the patient might not be able to drive a vehicle after dilating the pupil.
3. Bring sunglasses is recommended.
STEP OF PHAKIC IOL TREATMENT
If you decide to undergo Phakic IOL treatment, here are the things on how to prepare yourself for the surgery. If you have any inquiries, feel free to ask our staff.
- Send us an email or call us to make an appointment for the surgery
- Remove the contact lens prior to the appointment date.
- at least 3 days for soft contact lens
- at least 7 days for hard, semi hard or rigid gas permeable contact lens
- Take a blood test for Anti-HIV or bring test results with you when you come arrive.
- Avoid wearing make-up, especially around the eye.
- Please do not wear any perfume, lotions or body-spray
- Please wash your hair, take a bath, cut your nails, clean and observe good hygiene.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing, preferably with buttons or zip.
- Make an arrangement with a friend or relative to accompany you on the surgery day and to escort you home after the surgery.
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes before the appointment time.
- It will take about 2 hours for the operation process.
- Plan for a leave of absence from work at least 1 day.